Development Worker (m/f/d) as advisor for biomedical technology/engineering at Nekemte Referral Hospital
As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
With the dispatch of qualified specialists as development workers, GIZ contributes to the sustainable improvement of living conditions of people in developing and transition countries.
The Ethiopian Government has invested substantially in improvements of the health system. Biomedical technology is now increasingly applied and shall be part of the training for health care professionals. However, trainings are not yet practically oriented and much of the equipment in hospitals is not functioning. The Nekemte Regional Referral Hospital has established a workshop where biomedical equipment shall be repaired and health care staff and biomedical students shall be practically trained. By supporting this workshop, biomedical technicians and nurses will gain competence and practical experience. Furthermore, biomedical equipment from surrounding health posts can be repaired and maintained.
- Establishing and supporting the regional hospital and workshop in Nekemte technically and in its managerial procedures
- Training and supervising hospital staff in maintenance and repairs of the full range of biomedical equipment present in the hospital (unless requiring company maintenance), of all levels of technology; also include support staff of associated hospitals/health centers in the surrounding area
- Advising the hospital's management team on a comprehensive management of their biomedical equipment, roles and responsibilities, and respective needs
- Supporting hospital staff in reaching out to associated hospitals and health centers to develop the workshop further into a supra-regional maintenance and repair hub
- Training and mentoring of the staff of Nekemte Referral Hospital and the neighboring Nekemte Health Science College in the appropriate handling and use of medical equipment
- In cooperation with Tegbare-id TVET College in Addis Ababa and other vocational training schools: supporting the practical vocational training of students (biomedical technicians)
- Jointly with the hospital management team and in close cooperation with the International Expert placed in Addis Abeba at Tegbare-id: setting up an (electronic) inventory system for biomedical equipment, an internal hospital preventive maintenance system and ongoing training system to continuously introduce staff to operation and maintenance of medical equipment
- Contributing to monitoring and knowledge management, therefore working closely with the GIZ Programme as well as the hospital management and the regional health authorities
- Biomedical technician (m/f/d) with trainer's license or biomedical engineer (m/f/d) with practical and teaching/training experience
- Multi-annual practical working experience in maintenance and repair of (basic) medical equipment
- Strong propensity for teaching
- Overseas working experience, in particular in a low/middle income country is an asset, especially working experience in Ethiopia
- Enjoying working with a young and motivated hospital management team in a local environment
- Good communication skills, intercultural competence and a genuine interest in development cooperation
- Business Fluent English skills; Knowledge of the local language (Oromo) would be an asset, but a minimum is willingness to learn it
- Place of residence: Nekemte
- Climate: The climate is mild and generally warm with an average annual temperature of 17 degrees Celcius.
- Healthcare: Basic health services are available, including pharmacies. However, Addis Ababa provides medium medical standards in hospitals and with private doctors.
- Supply and shopping facilities: Local shops cover most of day-to-day needs.
- Accessibility: Nekemte is a small university town in the Oromia Region in Ethiopia, around 300 km west of Addis Abeba.
- School situation: Nekemte has several universities and colleges. There are schools that teach in English, although not to an international standard. International schools are found in Addis Ababa.
- Security: Frequent travels to Addis Ababa and in the region are expected.The security situation needs to be observed carefully. It has been quiet in the past months and GIZ has a good security management system in place.
The security situation requires increased alertness. There are special security risk mitigation measures applying to GIZ staff on-site.
All staff must follow GIZ security instructions at any time. Please also read up on county-specific advice provided by the German Federal Foreign Office.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
- We are a global service provider within the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We offer you the opportunity to deploy your technical know-how at one of our locations in more than 130 countries.
- During the preparation phase, you will receive initial insights into GIZ and the local conditions. This ensures you are as well prepared as you can be for your placement. You have the opportunity to contact other new starters, and to expand and develop your personal network.
- You will receive a medical check-up, as well as detailed advice on precautionary measures, vaccinations and malaria prevention. Every two years, you and your accompanying family members will receive a precautionary check-up. The medical service is available in emergencies for employees domiciled in Germany. It also provides advice for ergonomically designed workplaces.
- For supply trips, such as for shopping, to school or to the doctor, you can either use your company car or claim a monthly fixed-sum travel allowance. You may also use the company car for private use with the consent of your superior.
- For your service as a development worker we will pay you a monthly basic subsistence allowance. From the contractually agreed departure there is also an additional monthly expatriation allowance. This allowance increases if you are married and/or have dependent children - even if your family does not leave the country with you.
- Following your preparation in Germany, we offer you eight days' departure leave so you can prepare for your deployment as a development worker.
- We reimburse the bulk of child care costs for dependent children under the age of 14 who are travelling with you. This entitlement lapses if your partner travels out with you and does not work as a development assistant or an integrated specialist. Up to 92.5% of costs for pre-school and school enrolment are covered.
- We help you find somewhere to live locally and reimburse the costs based on country-specific rent index.
- We provide health and liability insurance for you and your family. Family members travelling with you are also covered by accident insurance. During your working hours you are also legally covered by accident insurance. In countries affected by crisis your protection includes a comprehensive risk management system, which minimises personal hazards and risks.
We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. You advise governmental and civil society organizations at local or municipal level. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. The basis for the deployment of specialists in the development service is the Entwicklungshelfergesetz (EhfG).
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Customer Portal of Recruitment and Follow-on assignments