Art der Stelle
Head of Scientific Computing
Stellenangebot vom 29.10.2018
caesar is a neuroscience research institute associated with the Max Planck Society and is located in Bonn. caesar’s research is interdisciplinary with scientists from various research areas working together on the topics of cellular signal processing and the neural foundations of behavior. This ranges from studying the behavior of single-cell organisms to studying one of the key questions of neuroscience: how does neuronal activity give rise to complex and goal-directed behavior?
We are currently looking for a Head of Scientific Computing (full time) to join us at the next possible opportunity.
The position will initially be for 2 years with the possibility of continuation.
As the Head of Scientific Computing you will lead a newly forming centralized scientific computing core facility. You will have the opportunity to recruit and build your own team of scientific computing experts and create the strategy for the developing group. The primary goal of your group is to facilitate research by providing a central resource for scientific algorithm development, data analysis, image analysis, machine learning expertise, and software development. A key aspect of this will be managing and developing algorithms for a new to be installed mid-size High-Performance Computing (HPC) cluster. caesar is also modernizing storage with two mid-size storage units for the purpose of facilitating the use and retention of scientific data and your facility will assist scientists to effectively use this resource.
- Lead, manage, and develop a strategy for the scientific computing core facility including budget and personnel planning
- Coordinate the hiring and management of the rest of the scientific computing facility team
- Work closely with scientists to implement service oriented and modern IT solutions
- Administer and assist with use of the HPC cluster and associated data storage systems
- Develop, with your team, algorithms and software for scientific data analysis, image analysis, and machine learning
- Interact with the leadership of caesar to help plan the future of computing within the institute
- Organize courses and training for further education of scientists, students and employees
- PhD or Masters degree with relevant experience in an appropriate discipline (physics, math, chemistry, biology, bioinformatics, computer science, etc.)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in business fluent English and German
- Practical experience successfully running a project and leading a team. Experience with budget creation and reporting is a plus.
- Experience in HPC environments, cluster management, and developing related algorithms
- Experience with enterprise storage (cloud, NAS, etc.)
- Experience developing in a scientific environment / context with R, Python, and/or Matlab
- An international and collaborative environment in a stimulating scientific institute
- A salary commensurate with the work
- Outstanding employee benefits, a family-friendly culture, and flexible working hours
- Opportunities for further training/continuing education.
caesar is committed to diversity and inclusion and is aiming to increase the percentage of women in areas where they are under-represented. We therefore explicitly encourage women to apply.
Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
Please submit your application online only by Nov 30th 2018 via
If you have any further questions, please contact:
Christoph Geisen, Tel.: +49(0)228 / 9656-200 / or email@example.com