- Developmental and Evolutionary Biology & Genetics
- Immunobiology and Infection Biology & Medicine
- Structural and Cell Biology
Art der Stelle
Lab manager / senior technical assistant (m/f/d)
Stellenangebot vom 02.06.2021
The Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry (MPIB) in Martinsried near Munich is one of the leading international research institutions in the fields of biochemistry, cell and structural biology as well as biomedical research and is one of the largest institutes of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science with around 25 scientific departments and research groups and about 800 employees.
For the Department of Cell and Virus Structure (Dr. John Briggs) we are looking for a Lab manager / senior technical assistant (m/f/d).
The lab manager/senior technical assistant must possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills and excellent technical expertise in methods performed within the department. He/she must oversee a wide variety of administrative, fiscal, and technical activities to ensure the efficient operation of the department. He/she will develop and perform complex experiments to support the aims of the department. He/she will rely on extensive experience and effective communication to establish and accomplish goals. He/she must possess excellent written and communication skills.
Responsibilities will include the following - other duties may be assigned:
- The lab manager/senior technical assistant will take responsibility for daily operations essential for the smooth running of the department.
- The lab manager/senior technical assistant develops and performs experiments in the area of cell and virus structure, testing and applying new methods in the areas of molecular biology, cell culture, virus production, protein production, and the characterization of proteins and viruses.
- He/she assists the director in maintaining the budget for supplies and equipment, cooperates with accounting and purchasing departments of the institute to manage spending, liaises with outside companies to negotiate charges and deadlines and respond to equipment breakdowns or supply problems, ensures that supplies and equipment for research and teaching purposes are maintained including ordering supplies and equipment, assists the director in planning and executing renovations, and maintains an accurate inventory of equipment.
- The lab manager/senior technical assistant has to ensure the safety of the lab’s equipment as well as its proper use, and train laboratory personnel in the proper use of equipment, in technical methods, and safety, including safety requirements for biosafety level 2 work.
- He/she completes and maintains documentation required for the safe and effective running of the lab environment.
- The lab manager/senior technical assistant performs or assists with the weekly scheduling of duties for other departmental technicians and support staff, which includes assignment, organization and tracking.
- An academic (Masters or PhD) or technical education in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Virology or a related discipline, combined with extensive experience working in a laboratory environment.
- Excellent technical skills and the confidence to train others in these skills.
- Excellent organisational, leadership and communication skills.
- Good knowledge of a broad range of standard techniques in molecular biology, protein chemistry and cell culture.
- Motivation to learn new techniques.
- Motivation to work in an international, multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Experience working under biosafety level 2 conditions would be an advantage.
Payment will be according to qualifications and in accordance with TVöD (Bund) (German public service tariff scale).
The initial appointment will be for two years with the possibility of extension.
The Max Planck Society strives for gender equality and diversity. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society has set itself the goal of employing more severely disabled people. Applications from severely disabled people are expressly encouraged.
For further information about the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry.
Have we aroused your interest? Please submit your application documents (pdf-files) via our online application website by June 30, 2021.