- Particle, Plasma and Quantum Physics
Art der Stelle
Postdoctoral Physicist (m/f/d) | Nonlinear Optics – Ultrafast field-resolved Infrared Spectroscopy for Biosensing
Stellenangebot vom 23.12.2021
Postdoctoral Physicist (m/f/d) with Background in Nonlinear Optics – Ultrafast Field-resolved Infrared Spectroscopy for Biosensing
In a joint effort, the Center for Molecular Fingerprinting Research (CMF), the Ludwig-Maximilians University Munich and the Max-Planck Institute for Quantum Optics combine cutting-edge femtosecond laser technologies [1-3] with novel molecular fingerprinting techniques [4,5] to advance a new type of mid-infrared spectroscopy on the electric-field level. The novel systems are developed and utilized by a highly interdisciplinary team of physicists, data scientists, biologists and clinical personal to identify, via minuscule variations in the infrared response, medical conditions such as cancer in body liquid samples.
The successful candidate will join the attoworld in Garching, Germany, to develop next-generation instruments based on bright, coherent, broadband mid-infrared sources and field-resolved detection. The goal for this position is to further develop coherent field-resolved infrared metrology with multi-octave spectral coverage and unprecedented detection sensitivity, based on a new laser platform. The duration of the position is initially 2 years, with the possibility of extension.
- Development of super-octave mid-infrared pulse generation and field-resolved infrared detection.
- Nonlinear optical simulations.
- Reaching unprecedented spectral bandwidth and sensitivity with coherent mid-IR detection.
- Application of the developed instrument in physical and bio-medical experiments.
- Presentation and publication of scientific output.
Qualifications and skills
- Excellent PhD in physics or a related discipline.
- Experience with ultrafast lasers and nonlinear optics.
- Ideally, experience with infrared and/or nonlinear spectroscopies.
- Strong self-motivation and the ability to solve problems independently
- Interest in interdisciplinary work with interface to biomedical applications.
- Good command of the English language.
- Become part of the attoworld - a team of outstanding experts in ultrafast laser development, attosecond physics, ultrasensitive metrology and advanced multilayer coatings.
- Salary according to qualification and professional suitability up to max. EG 14. Social benefits according to the regulations of public service (federal service)
- Access to the latest technologies, state-of-the-art laboratories and equipment.
- Excellent research and working conditions.
- Supportive, highly motivated, and multi-disciplinary team.
- Pleasant working atmosphere with many learning opportunities.
- Open-minded, inspiring, dynamic and international atmosphere.
- Personal and professional training programmes.
The Max Planck Society is committed to promoting gender equality and diversity. Applications from women are encouraged. Applicants with severe disabilities will be given preference for employment, if their qualifications are essentially the same.
Please send a brief cover letter explaining your interest in the position, your CV and the contact information of two references to Dr. Alexander Weigel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
 J. Zhang et al., Light Sci. Appl. 7, 17180 (2018).
 Q. Wang et al., Opt. Letters 44, 2566 (2019).
 N. Nagl et al., Opt. Letters 44, 2390 (2019).
 I. Pupeza et al., Nature Photon. 9, 721 (2015).
 I. Pupeza et al., Nature 577, 52 (2020).