Art der Stelle
Research Assistant (HiWi #1)
Stellenangebot vom 07.11.2017
Research Assistant (HiWi) / Master student project at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems in Tübingen within the Perceiving Systems Department / Software Workshop Scientific Facility.
The Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems in Tübingen is looking for a student research assistant/HiWi (studentische/wissenschaftliche Hilfskraft) or a student who wants to complete his/her master’s project, for working on: Real time face avatars rendering on smartphone GPU
The scope of the project is to have a realistic and fast/real time face model rendering on a mobile device using GPU technologies. This position will give the candidate an opportunity to explore realistic animation in Computer Graphics research, and in the areas of deep learning on mobile devices. The goals of this project are:
- Writing a state of the art in face and blend shape rendering techniques
- Exploring the GPU rendering techniques on mobile devices (OpenGL, Vulkan, Metal, Metal2), making a document on pros and cons of each technology
- Writing a native mobile application that: reads a face model from disk, transforms this model into GPU primitives that can be rendered and then, renders this model on the GPU using the technology previously chosen
- Make the previously developed rendering pipeline real time
- Animate the rendering using an animation file
This pipeline will be used as a component of a bigger program, and a particular care should be taken on the software overall design. The code would preferably be written such that the rendering pipeline 1) can be easily reused in other programs and 2) exposes a simple interface to update the shape and pose of the face model.
Experts in the domain of scene rendering, computer vision and software developments will supervise the work. This position is a component of a wider project, and may lead to a PhD position.
We are looking for applicants that…
- are matriculated as master students at a German university (obligatory for HiWis) and are located in the Tübingen area,
- have already completed a Bachelor’s degree in a field related to computer science,
- have excellent programming skills and habits, and understand C++ well,
- have strong backgrounds in mathematics (linear algebra, numerical methods, 3D geometry)
- may have an programming experience with GPU and/or with smartphone (Android or iPhone)
- have very good communication skills in English
In case of a HiWi job, the maximal number of work hours is 20 hours per week/83 hours a month, and preference would be given for applicants available for more than 40 hours per month.
What we offer
The MPI for Intelligent Systems is one of the world's leading research institutions for machine learning, computer vision and robotics, studying the concepts of intelligence and autonomy on every conceptual scale. We offer an interdisciplinary, open research environment among international staff, with connections to institutions within and outside of Germany. The post is ideally suited for students looking to extend their scientific and cultural horizons. Students without a Bachelor’s degree will earn € 9.90 per hour. Master students holding a Bachelor’s degree will be paid € 11.52 per hour.
The Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. The Max Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
Applications and inquiries should be sent quoting reference number 79.17, accompanied by a one-page CV to Sabrina Jung firstname.lastname@example.org
If you prefer to send a hardcopy application, you may do so. Please address it to:
Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems