Bluu is Europe's leader in cultivated fish. We envision a future in which seafood culinary traditions can be enjoyed for generations to come, without threatening human health, animals, or our planet's fragile aquatic ecosystems. To make this vision a reality, we produce delicious, nutritious seafood directly from fish cells - no farms, hooks, or nets. Our fish is made with combined expertise in cell biotechnology and food technology, and we are trawling for talent to address technical challenges along the way.
Transitioning from the lab bench to dinner tables around the world requires efficient and wellcharacterized cell lines. We are looking for a highly skilled cell biologist to help build our cell line portfolio and advocate for the cells and their needs as they progress through our media development and bioprocessing pipelines. Ideally, you integrate a hands-on scientific mentality with a determination to challenge the status quo. You will oversee cell isolation and characterization as well as cell line development and procurement to derive desirable lines. If you strive to work at the confluence of biotechnology, food innovation, and sustainability, Bluu is the place for you!
Senior Scientist Cell Biologist
What does the role of senior cell biologist entail?
- Establishment and optimization of fish stem cell isolation from various tissue types and fish species (highest priority)
- Development and comprehensive characterization of fish cell lines, using cellular and molecular biology tools and assays, such as metabolic and gene expression analyses
- Implement innovative approaches to improve performance and efficiency of the fish cell line development pipeline
- Manage technical transfer of characterized fish cell lines to dependent teams
- Closely collaborate across teams to integrate cellular requirements and desired behaviors with culture media development and cell production processes
- Compilation and analysis of experiments to make data-driven decisions across teams
- Empathetic leadership of a scientific and technical team
What skills and experiences should you bring to the table?
- Academic background (MSc or PhD) in cell biology, stem cell biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, or related fields
- 3+ years experience with primary cell isolation from different tissue types and from different animal species
- R&D experience in cell line development and familiarity across multiple cell types (including stem cells) as well as sound knowledge of differentiation techniques
- Experience with cell-based imaging and cellular as well as molecular biology assays, e.g. fluorescence microscopy, flow cytometry, qRT-PCR, RNA-seq, ELISA and/or Western blotting
- Demonstrated ability to design and conduct research independently
- Creative and goal-oriented attitude • Strong record keeping skills, highly organized
- Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities
What can you expect from joining Bluu?
- Expect a cross-functional position with opportunities to collaborate across various R&D groups
- Engage with a dedicated, friendly, and international group of scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs in a fast-paced and exciting startup environment
- Progress as a valued team member, while also receiving the support and freedom you need to exceed your personal expectations
- Contribute to the cutting edge of the cultivated seafood research and industrial space
- Enjoy competitive compensation, including 26 days of paid leave per year and flexible working hours
- Participate in our company benefits program
- enjoy water, tea and coffee flatrate for free
- We are on a mission to bring cell biotechnology and food technology together to make cultivated fish a reality. Our goal is to ensure that the seafood we know, and love can be enjoyed for generations to come, without harming animals or our planet's fragile ocean ecosystems. Join our team of creative, enthusiastic and cheerful minds.
Ready to take the plunge?
Submit your application through this form, and we will contact you shortly. As we are an international team, we would ask you to submit the applications in English only.
Application deadline: 15.01.2022
Starting date: 01.03.2022
For the time being, the position is in the beautiful, historic city of Lübeck. A relocation to Hamburg is planned by the end of 2022.
We look forward to learning all about you!
Bluu is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment process. All applicants are treated equitably regardless of differences in human experience such as gender identity or expression, race, national origin, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, religious beliefs, age, or disability status.
If you have any questions, please reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org