Role: SQL Database Administrator (m/f/d)
Number of positions: 1
Location: Vienna, Austria
Duration: until end of August 2019, option to extend
Start: May 2019
Workload: 5 days / week
Remote or Onsite: Onsite
Level: 2+ years
Contract Type: Freelance
Other: Candidates must be eligible to work as a freelancer in Austria with all the necessary permits/documentation/visas.
The Database Administrator is a member of a team of technology experts specializing in various tasks that are broadly defined as DevOps Database Administration.
Database Administrator position primarily entails work on tasks targeted to ensure both excellent uptime of the database systems as well as continuous research for improvement within this specific technology domain and associated processes.
The Database Administrator has a deep understanding of RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) operation in general, but also has hands-on skills in MySQL database. Has good knowledge of best practices and a passion for ensuring highest standards of uptime through proactive monitoring, pre-emptive tuning and general attention to detail. All of that is complemented by solid adherence to ITIL processes, which requires careful planning.
Automation of installation, monitoring and maintenance using ansible and tools like puppet and chef is key with this role.
As a member of a geographically dispersed group of database experts, the Database Administrator is required to work on a shared backlog of time-sensitive tasks often needing urgent execution and handover across time-zones to ensure continuity and quick turnaround times, which is only possible through efficient teamwork, prompt escalations and excellent communication skills.
- Database systems administration within the customer environment primarily running on MySQL
- Devising and driving operational requirements towards development organization
- Assistance to the development organisation within database technology area
- Ownership of important database technology related initiatives within the group and occasional project management of such initiatives and corresponding activities
- Reporting on stability and performance of database systems to other technology groups and to management
- Implementation of new installations, upgrades and configuration of RDBMS instances according to the customer’s Change and Release processes, with adequate documentation and preparation of necessary release notes and change management documentation.
- Incidents troubleshooting and root-cause analysis
- Improvement and maintenance of existing documentation, such as various HowTo's, Operation Manuals, Alarms Journal, CMDB updates.
- Creation and maintenance of database monitoring checks and alerts within central monitoring system
- Design and implementation of efficient maintenance plans and processes across production database instances, including backups and disaster recovery measures
- Monitoring performance and trends
- Database optimization, tuning, architecture and design
- MySQL and MS SQL (required)
- PostgreSQL (required)
- Experience of using Ansible (required)
- Strong and demonstrable experience as DBA in large-scale MySQL environments
- Documented hands-on expertise managing high-volume instances of MySQL setups featuring high availability
- Linux shell scripting and general Linux system administration experience
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to get to the route of an issue quickly
Languages: Fluent English
Deadline: 29th May 2019
Tagwords: MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL, Ansible